Whether you are trying to loose weight after birth, or you are just trying to get fit for bikini season, here is a list of 15 foods that will help you loose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle to reach a better, leaner you!
1. Eggs: Forgo the morning white toast with butter or bagel with cream cheese. Those foods are just empty carbs that will only make you feel full and satisfied for a short period of time. Before you know it you will be craving a mid morning snack and taking in more calories than you predicted. Eggs are a great substitute because they are filled with protein that will keep you fuller longer and reduce spiked blood sugar levels. You can pair your egg (1-2) with a piece of whole wheat toast and fresh fruit for a full breakfast.
2. Beans: I have never heard of cholecystokinin (cannot even pronounce it) until I read this article on WebMD this morning. Apparently this is the best weight loss buddy we never knew we had. It is a digestive hormone that acts as a natural appetite suppressant that can be found in no other than beans.
3. Salad: This one is probably a no brainer but salads are great for your body because they not only fill you up due to the amounts of roughage you are consuming but they are also filled with vitamins and nutrients. A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that people who ate one salad a day with dressing had higher levels of vitamins C and E, folic acid, lycopene, and carotenoids-all disease fighters-than those who didn’t add salad to their daily menu. Just make sure not to go for those creamy salad dressings or bacon bit toppings as these can take away some of the great qualities a salad has to offer you.
4. Green Tea: This drink not only tastes good but it helps to stimulate your metabolism, causing you to burn calories at a faster rate than normal. Try adding a fresh lemon or a touch of honey to add some more flavor. This drink does contain caffeine so it may not be appropriate before bedtime but it is a great way to start your day as a coffee substitute.
5. Pears: We have always heard that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but what about pears? Pears are being recognized as containing more fiber which helps to fill you up and keep you full. Apples come in a close second so if you prefer apples they are still a great way to get your fiber intake.
6. Chicken Soup: Soup may not just be good for you soul but for your belly. Researchers speculate that soup, no matter how simple it may be such as chicken noodle, satisfies your hunger because your brain perceives it as being filling.
7. Lean Beef: For all of your red meat lovers out there, you can still get your weekly intake just in a leaner way. Amino Acids are found in lean meats and fish as well as in dairy products which help you maintain calorie burning muscle.
8. Olive Oil: Never mind the butter, here’s a better substitute. Olive oil is a mono saturated fat that will help you burn calories, not pack them on. Even adding a dash to your milk and cereal in the morning will boost your metabolism throughout the day. Don’t like the idea of adding olive oil to your morning routine? It also works great with vegetables and a salad dressing.
9. Grapefruit: In 2006 a study of 91 obese people found that eating half a grapefruit before each meal or drinking a serving three times a time, helped them drop more than three pounds over 12 weeks! Now those are results.
10. Cinnamon: This spice helps to curb mid-afternoon sugar slumps and can be done so just by sprinkling it on top of your oatmeal or coffee. The USDA found that just one quarter teaspoon of cinnamon a day can lower your blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels for people with type-2 diabetes.